Friday 6 March 2009

Watchmen (2009)

[Movie 101 / Day 65]


One of the greatest graphic novels ever finally makes it to the big screen. Watchmen is set in an alternate 1985 where costumed vigilantes walk the streets of America while the world is on the brink of a nuclear holocaust. One of them, Rorschach (who more-or-less defines "bad-ass") tries to track down the killer of one of the masked men believing that someone is trying to murder all of the remaining (mostly retired) heroes.

I know it's got an 18 certificate, but I wasn't really expecting this movie to be particularly violent - and for the most part, it isn't... But when the violence happens, it's absolutely brutal and almost shocking at times.

It's well acted, written (quite a lot of dialogue seems to have been lifted straight from the book) and directed; the soundtrack is good, the CGI is good... It's just a great film. Not exactly a happy one, but brilliant nonetheless.

I loved the title sequence, full of ultra-slow-mo and Bob Dylan.

I look forward to seeing it again.

My rating: 8.9 / 10
IMDB rating: 8.5 / 10
Running time: 163 mins
IMDB link

2 comments:

  1. I just saw this in theatres on Thursday night. I knew to expect the violence, and the gory way it was delivered. But I found that it was not too distracting. It fit with the way the story was being delivered, and the comic-book feel overall. Wasn't sure about casting of Malin Akerman, but she had won me over by the end of the movie. Keep those reviews coming. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't find the violence distracting, but after long periods with no violence whatsoever, it hit hard when it did come.

    Thanks for the comment, glad somebody likes reading this stuff! :)

    ReplyDelete