Thursday 30 April 2009

Masters of the Universe (1987)

[Movie 134 / Day 118]


I loved He-Man when I was a kid.  So when this movie came out, I was terribly excited about it and instantly loved it too.  Almost as much as The Neverending Story.

Obviously, back then, I couldn't appreciate the terrible storyline and the incredibly bad make up (Skeletor's in particular - lingering shots on his evil visage reveal joins in the rubber 'skull' he's wearing, including a gaping gap at the bridge of his nose and a seam running between his nostrels.  Which are painted on.  He also has lips.  Since when does a skeleton have lips?).  Skeletors troops actually look alright - mainly because whoever designed them clearly took a Stormtrooper, painted it black and added part of Darth Vader's helmet.

When I was young, I also didn't notice the awful acting and the laughably bad action.  Which really, really, really sucks.

So, it's terrible then.  Courtney Cox looks cute as the young girl but hasn't quite got the hang of acting; the bloke that plays her boyfriend looks (and acts) like a reject from the casting for The Breakfast Club; and Dolph Lundgren is oiled up, pumped up and sounding like he just landed in the country and has learnt his lines phonetically.

+10 for nostalgia.  -7 for destroying my memories.

My rating: 3.0 / 10
IMDB rating: 5.1 / 10
Running time: 106 mins
IMDB link

No comments:

Post a Comment