Monday 2 February 2009

Fargo (1996)

[Movie 55 / Day 33]


When I first saw Fargo, I didn't like it. But then, I also didn't like Blood Simple, Raising Arizona or The Big Lebowski on the first watch either. So when I saw it in the bargain bin at Asda, I thought I'd give it another go.

I enjoyed it much more this time round - in fact, I really liked it for the first half an hour, when the main characters are William H. Macy (who is criminally under-rated), Steve Buscemi and Peter Stormare. Then, unfortunately, Frances McDormand's character hits the screen and the reasons I didn't like this movie came flooding back. Mainly, I really don't like the accent that nearly everyone on screen is afflicted with once McDormand is introduced. I don't know if it's a real accent and whether that manner of speaking is accurate, or if it was done for 'comic' effect, but it really, really grates.

Overall, I enjoyed it, but it's not as strong as it's made out to be - and I found the ending to be lacking something. What, I'm not sure, but it didn't seem a good way to finish.

My rating: 6.0 / 10
IMDB rating: 8.3 / 10
Running time: 98 mins
IMDB link

No comments:

Post a Comment