Saturday 17 January 2009

Apocalypto (2006)

[Movie 32 / Day 17]


I really didn't think I was going to like Mel Gibson's Apocalypto. It follows a young Mayan who is captured as a human sacrifice but ends up fleeing for his life. It's in Mayan, presumably, and subtitled all the way through. Judging the movie from the trailer, it really didn't look like the sort of movie I'd be interested in. Then someone recommended it to me. I still couldn't bring myself to watch it. The bluray arrived this morning as a rental, so tonight, I've finally sat down and watched it.

I loved it.

It really pulls you into the story and I ended up sympathising with the characters, even though the way of life being depicted is about as far from modern living as you could get. It just seemed very real, from the tattoos and scarification, to the tools in use... Even the violence was on the realistic side of Hollywood and not cartoony.

There was only really one thing that bugged me. Apparently, in Mayan times, people didn't float. I can understand they wouldn't know how to swim, but not being able to float?

Anyway, Mel Gibson clearly had a passion for this story and props to him for bringing it to the big screen - it's not your typical Hollywood offering.

My rating: 8.2 / 10
IMDB rating: 7.9 / 10
Running time: 139 mins
IMDB link

No comments:

Post a Comment